The Sales and Business Development Associate is an exciting, early professional career opportunity geared toward eventual promotion to a sales representative position. Selected candidates will work closely with an experienced Account Executive supporting all aspects of our sales processes, including client-facing and sales generating activities. They will partner with clients, internal and external teams, vendors, and third-party influencers to profitably grow the business and exceed customer expectations.
- Successfully complete an extensive cross-functional rotational program designed to help you learn about the company, our products, and the markets that we serve. During this rotation time, you will spend dedicated time in/with:
- Customer Service + Inside Sales
- Design + Marketing
- Operations + Finance
- Key Manufacturing Partners + Sales Professionals
- Work closely with assigned account executive(s) to develop and execute a plan to drive sales within targeted accounts and new business opportunities
- Closely partnering with the sales team to assist in other various sales enablement activities such as client facing meetings, cyclical calling of Kentwood clients, email campaigns and other sales tasks.
- Preparation and generation of proposals and presentations based on the need of each opportunity which includes compiling product information, discounting, finishes, materials, and delivery / installation quotations.
- Takes care of walk-in customers, customer pick-ups, retail transactions and other showroom responsibilities.
- Post-installation coordination and communication with clients and vendors regarding item deficiency, damages and other items that arise. Supporting tasks could include quotation preparation and ordering of items to rectify any matters. Communication with client and vendors throughout the process including post-sale satisfaction.
- Continued advanced learning of our broader systems and software we use on a daily basis.
- Works strategically and professionally with internal and external cross-functional business partners (both Kentwood Office Furniture and outside business partners)
- Performs additional responsibilities as required to achieve corporate business objectives.
Qualifications & Attributes
- Ability to work cross-functionally with others and work on various projects at any given time.
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, listening and interpersonal skills with a high level of integrity and business ethics.
- Demonstrated high personal performance standards with a desire for continuous learning.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and Outlook.
RMR Solutions was expanding their offices and decided to build out the adjacent suite. Kentwood was involved in selecting all materials including paint, carpet, and furniture.
In 2012, PAL’s board decided the nonprofit needed a permanent home, as opposed to the former ball bearing factory in Midtown where it rented space. Detroit PAL raised money for a new facility on the ground of the old Tiger Stadium. Kentwood Office worked with some of their donors, such as the Detroit Lions, to re-purposed some existing furniture. Kentwood provided a value-oriented solution that was cost effective and still matched the design intent.
MadDog Technology moved its offices to the 10th floor of the Riker Building in Pontiac, Michigan. With this move, they wanted a fresh, open space and workstations to support the open floor plan. Kentwood worked directly with the end-user to help their vision of an open, clean, inspiring space come to fruition by keeping the panels low and allowing natural light and views of the city from any seat
Kentwood Office Furniture uses preowned furniture to create another environmentally-friendly office showplace at a fraction of the cost. Their ability to provide products with fresh aesthetics quickly, and cost effectively, has made them an unparalleled resource throughout the Midwest region. These products are up–to-date, support current technology, and are designed to meet each customer’s specific need. Not only do their customers benefit financially from these value oriented solutions, the environment does as well. Many of their solutions utilize 100 percent used or remanufactured furniture products. This service focuses on keeping products and components out of the landfills and into the hands of those that need it.
GO AHEAD, REUSE IT
Kentwood Office Furniture has been a frontrunner in the call to action to reduce, reuse, and recycle office furniture for over 30 years. Although many new office furniture products are made from a percentage of recycled content, remanufactured office furniture is reused – the highest form of “green”! Remanufacturing conserves energy and natural resources over new manufacturing by up to 95% and avoids the solid waste stream and air pollution caused by the new production process.
Customers look to KOF not only for environmentally friendly used product solutions, but for their ability to design a space with these used products that meets their unique needs and work processes.
“There is used product available on the market – some of it good and some of it not so good,” says Laura Hopson, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Kentwood Office Furniture. “The value that KOF brings to their customer base is the ability to take these used products and reconfigure or remanufacture them to fit the exact needs of their space. We offer our customers design flexibility.”
USED FURNITURE INSTALLATION
One recent example that demonstrates this valuable service is an installation for Indicon, a company based in the Detroit, Michigan area. Indicon was challenged with trying to create an aesthetically pleasing innovative space as they moved their headquarters to a new facility. To make the most of every dollar spent, they began this process by searching for used office systems. Kentwood Office Furniture was able to meet their needs by creating a space with used Herman Miller products – including floor-to-ceiling wall product.
Indicon’s willingness to explore used products brought about an affordable, sustainable workplace that meets their unique needs and work processes.
This sales role will develop long-term relationships with clients using a consultative selling approach. Will grow sales though networking and relationship building within new and existing customers as well as third-party influencers. Ensures customer satisfaction from proposal through project completion. Works closely with our interior design, sales support, installation team and partner vendors to exceed customer expectations.
- Manage the day to day relationships with new and existing customers.
- Prospect the local market for new furniture and architectural product opportunities.
- Develop local business relationships with third-party influencers (commercial real estate companies, A&D firms, moving companies, etc.) to identify potential opportunities.
- Drive sales and profitability by leading the sales process including the development of creative and innovative solutions to meet customer needs.
- Involve key stakeholders in the development of a winning sales plan
- Collaborate with interior design team to provide solutions that meet customer’s functional, aesthetic and budget requirements.
- Provide complete and timely communication from proposal to execution to minimize cost, improve coordination and create an extraordinary customer experience.
- Partner with internal and external installation teams to complete project, exceed customer expectations and build referral base.
- Facilitate customer requests for pricing, specifications, information, and other service requirements. This can involve providing quotes, determining gross profits, negotiating pricing and terms, cost/benefit analysis, reviewing finishes and options.
- Exceed assigned sales quota and gross profit objectives. Utilize and continually update corporate CRM system. Provide timely and accurate sales forecast.
- Build and maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending company and vendor sponsored education and product workshop as well as through independent study.
- Communicates/Collaborates Effectively: Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Ability to tailor message across a variety of audiences. Strong interpersonal skills; develops and maintains positive relationships. Strong team player.
- Demonstrates Accountability: Strong self-discipline and motivation. Shows initiative, takes responsibility for work and actions, high level of integrity.
- Strategizes and Problem Solves: Problem-solving orientation; critical thinking skills; understands how their work relates to the whole; generates new ideas that add value; ability to seek out appropriate information to make effective decisions.
- Excellent analytical and strategic problem-solving skills: highly developed understanding of company’s strategic direction and ability to interpret and communicate senior management direction. Clearly defines, gathers, analyzes, and focuses on the most relevant information. Synthesizes complex information.
- Continuous Learner: Self-directed, learns and advances from experiences and feedback, stays informed of industry trends, products, and applications
- Execution Management: Works quickly to get things done; uses resources effectively; detail oriented and high level of accuracy. Owns execution of tasks and demonstrates excellent follow through. Drives for results and fosters a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrates Courage:Appropriately challenges and debates; creates positive tension to drive success; takes risks and champions new ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree or applicable job experience
- Two to three years of business-to-business sales experience
- High personal performance standards with a desire for continuous learning
- Consultative sales skills with strong relationship-based mentality
- Ability to work directly with business owners, executives, and decision makers.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Knowledge of office furniture industry or the built environment (preferred but not required)
- Proficient computer skills; experience utilizing CRM software a plus.
- Willingness to travel as required; must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without accommodations.
Northridge Church started their furnishings search with a visit to the Merchandise Mart in Chicago. After viewing several options, they selected HON Flock and HON Motivate Seating. They liked the flexibility of HON Flock collaborative seating for individual areas within their lobby and near their bookstore. HON Motivate seating solutions proved the perfect fit for their cafe area. They communicated their desired product lines to Kentwood Office Furniture. Kentwood’s in-house designer placed these products into an efficient space plan and helped the client select colors and fabrics. Quick turnaround on the project, combined with direct ship options, had the space complete for Easter weekend services.